How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received an invalidity of marriage and I need to have my

This answer was rated:

I received an invalidity of marriage and I need to have my previous
health and dental benefits restored to me. The ex's group insurance has
acknowledged the invalidity and has denied me even cobra or giving me
a certificate of eligibility. In fact that insurance company has asked for refunds from providers and now the providers are attempting to back charge me. I have sent all documents to the benefits dept. that I was insured through prior to the marriage. I was the surviving spouse
of a retired salaried employee and I was able to retain continuing
benefits as long as I did not marry. Doesn't the certificate of invalidity
protect me in getting my benefits back and what else shall I do

What was the basis of the invalidity?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
invalidity based on fraud in the inducement to marry.

You will need to consult an attorney in your area and take two things for the consultation.


1) Take a copy of the insurance policies at issue.


2) Take a certified copy of the Invalidity of Marriage.


Invalidity of marriage is what many states refer to as annulment and basically states that you were never legally married (you know this). The problem here is that we are dealing with whatever your contract states with the insurance company (policy). It will take a careful review of the exact conditions listed in the policy to determine what specific conditions exist.


If the policy lists language requiring a "legal marriage" or even "marriage" then you could have your attorney write a letter to the insurance company that demanded your immediate reinstatement. If the policy had other language that permits them to cancel you then you will have to search for other options.


Assuming the policy speaks of "marriage" I think a basic analysis here leads to the conclusion that you were never married and therefore never breached the agreement with the insurance company. Therefore you would be entitled to have your policy reinstated. Understand that insurance companies do not make their money by granting benefits and paying claims... so you may have to sue them to get your benefits back.


The first step is to consult local counsel and have them thoroughly review your policy documentation. Your attorney may also wish to contact the treatment providers to let them know of the dispute so you will not have collection agencies harassing you.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you