How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience:  Legal Expert
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am my dads personal representative do I just sign his

Customer Question

If I am my dad's personal representative do I just sign his name on the title and give it to my brother so he can transfer the truck to his name
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
<p>You would sign as follows, depending on which is applicable:</p><p> </p><p>[Your Name], Power of Attorney for [Your Dad's Name]</p><p> </p><p>or </p><p> </p><p>[Your Name], Executor of Estate of [Your Dad's Name]</p><p> </p><p> </p><p><em>I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!</em></p><p> </p><p><em> If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would <u>please click the GREEN ACCEPT button </u></em><em><u>NOW</u></em><em>, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.</em></p><p> </p><p><em> If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. </em></p><p> </p><p><em>The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.</em></p>
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 7 years ago.
I just want to add to the last expert's post.

If your father has passed away, which I assume is the case because you mention being a personal representative, then it is irrelevant whether you ever had power of attorney for your father. A power of attorney for someone expires at their death and has no effect.

If you were named personal representative in his will, then you should sign any documents as personal representative. However, keep in mind that a personal representative named in a will has no power to act as a personal reprsentative until duly appointed by a court of law with jurisdiction over your father's estate. To obtain court authrization as a representative, you would have to first file the Will for probate, give appriopriate notices, attend a court hearing, etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been told since it is an "estate" worth only 50,000.00 that I don't need to go through probate, do I still need the letter from the courts?
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 7 years ago.
I don't know which county you are in, but here is a link to the appropriate forms to transfer real and personal property, the amounts of which must be under the state's small estate value: $50 K for personal property and $75K for real property.

You will have to modify the form for the appropriate county, but the form will be the same besides that.
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience: Legal Expert
Thomas McJD and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you