I am a stepmom to a wonderful child. My husband and I pay…

Customer Question
I am a stepmom to...
I am a stepmom to a wonderful child. My husband and I pay child support, so his ex has custody and we are suppossed to see him every other weekend. Our problem is that we see him WAY more than we are suppossed to, which is obviously a good thing, but we think we should have joint custody becasue we have him AT LEAST half of the time. I actually... Read full answer
I am a stepmom to a wonderful child. My husband and I pay child support, so his ex has custody and we are suppossed to see him every other weekend. Our problem is that we see him WAY more than we are suppossed to, which is obviously a good thing, but we think we should have joint custody becasue we have him AT LEAST half of the time. I actually counted up JUST THE OVERNIGHT days we have had him since Jan 1st-Sept 20 of this year and we have had him 141 nights and she has had him 124. This just doesn't seem right to me and I am needing advice as to what we should do. My husband really doesn't want to "rock the boat" with his ex, which I understand, but this is wrong. We don't want to take him away from his mom and get full custody, we just want joint custody and not to have to pay the child support. Is there an easy way to deal with this or do we have to pay alot of money and take her to court and go through all of that. Please help!!
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
9/19/2009
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 9 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
<p>DearCustomer- Well this depends on what the mother will agree to. If she will agree to changing the custody arrangement then it is rather simple to have an agreed entry filed with the court. If she will not agree then your husband would have to file a motion for an amendment to the current custody order.</p><p> </p><p>In any event, he must get a court order to change child support so there will have to be a court filing. The only question is whether or not it will be contested by the mother. I can understand his not wanting to "rock the boat" since if he starts the process the mother could simply withdraw all visits except for what is in the current order. </p><p> </p><p>A court battle can take a long time and cost a lot of money so he has to be careful. Obviously I don't know the mother or what she might do so I can only offer general information.</p><p> </p><p>Dave Kennett</p>
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
He has already brought this matter to her attention and she is not just going to let us have joint, because she is getting to have her cake and eat it too. I have documentation of all the dates we've had him and certain situations that have happened since May of 2007. Do you think if we did take her to court that we would have a shot? I know that getting full custody of a child and taking them away from their mother is hard and there would need to be neglect or something like that on her part, but that's not what we are trying to do...we just want joint. Also, could you give me a round about number as to how much it would cost to do this. Are we talking a couple thousand or over 10. Thanks
Well, I can't estimate the cost of a case since it depends on so many variables. If the mother puts up a fight you will need to hire child pshychologists as expert witnesses and the cost could be high due to the amount of time spent by your attorney. The basis for custody is "the best interests" of the child and not necessarily proving neglect since this is a case between parents and not other family members.

Getting full custody probably wouldn't solve anything since you say the time is now being split so a court certainly would not want to deviate from that. I think that, based on the current situation, you would have a reasonable chance at getting the custody changed to a more shared time.

As I said above, if the mother puts up a fight it could take a while and during that time she could restrict visits back to the standard order causing a disruption in the child's life. There's just no easy answer in these situations.

I know you want a ballpark figure as to legal fees but lawyers charge different amounts in different areas and i have no way of knowong how much time may be spent on a case like this since I can't predict what the mother will do or how much money she has to fight the case.

Suffice it to say that it will probably be at least $5000-7500.

Dave
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My step son is 14.. His father (my husband) has joint
Second opinion] My step son is 14.. His father (my husband) has joint custody. When we married 2 years ago he moved in with me an hour away. Since my husband and ex had joint custody are not required … read more
Lawyer,
Child support Question for Illinois My ex and I currently
Child support Question for Illinois: My ex and I currently have joint custody of our son and I am the custodial parent. I recently filed a petition to modify our custody arrangement because I will be … read more
Attorney,
If my ex-husband signs over his rights to our son (giving me
If my ex-husband signs over his rights to our son (giving me sole custody, as opposed to the joint custody we've had for the past five years), would that exempt him from paying child support? He sugge… read more
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw
Principal Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
we currently have joint custody of the children with my husbands
we currently have joint custody of the children with my husband's ex being the custodial parent due to him being in iraq during the time of the divorce. he's now out of the military and we have a more… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
We live in Tennessee. My current husband has full custody of
We live in Tennessee. My current husband has full custody of his daughter since Jan 2010 and he is trying to get child support from the mother. He always paid her when she had custody of her. The moth… read more
Counselor at Law,
I am a married mother of 2, my son is 7 from a previous relationship.
I am a married mother of 2, my son is 7 from a previous relationship. His biological father and I have a civil agreement filed with the courts from 6 years ago granting me sole custody with him having… read more
John Legal
John Legal
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I live in Washington State & was told by a friend that when
I live in Washington State & was told by a friend that when I file for divorce & put joint custody down on my papers that if my soon to be ex-husband doesn't pay child support that I wouldn't be able … read more
D. WINOGO ESQ.
D. WINOGO ESQ.
Hearing Officer/Attorney,
my 15 y/o son wants to a trial living with his dad. I have
my 15 y/o son wants to a "trial" living with his dad. I have a 13 y/o that will continue to live with me. i am custodial parent. My ex husband wants to use 182 overnights in the child support workshee… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
I am filing for divorce and we have 2 children together. I
I am filing for divorce and we have 2 children together. I make more money than he does, but he holds 2 master's degrees and I hold a bachelors. I am concerned about having to pay him child support, l… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
My husband wants to go for joint custody of his 6 year old
My husband wants to go for joint custody of his 6 year old son because the child mother is being very unreasonable with visitation and alway say to my husband he will never see his son and still have … read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
I am pregnant by my physical and verbally abusive ex. He wants
I am pregnant by my physical and verbally abusive ex. He wants joint custody and I'm scared to leave my child with him but I don't have any hard evidence, Can I do anything?… read more
Jack R.
Jack R.
Partner,
My daughter is 13 and goes to her dads every other weekend.
My daughter is 13 and goes to her dads every other weekend. He moved three years ago two hours away. She gets droped off every monday morning at 5 am and she gets up to come home at 3 am. She doesn't … read more
cfortunato
cfortunato
Stop searching for answers—
I share joint custody with my ex husband. 2 weeks 2weeks, our
I share joint custody with my ex husband. 2 weeks 2weeks, our son did move in with me full time a year ago. In 1998 I was away from my kids for 6 months the Ex got child support set up for him along w… read more
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Attorney at Law,
I got a divorce year ago and me and my ex-husband have
I got pregnent with this guy after a month of friendship. I decided to have my daughter with or without his help, but he wanted to be with me and with our baby. We got married when Natalia(our daughte… read more
CALawyer
CALawyer
Attorney,
I have been divorced from my ex-husband for 7 yrs. We ...
I have been divorced from my ex-husband for 7 yrs. We decided on what was best for our son and wrote our own visitation/support. In the beginning we did joint custody, 4 yrs ago my then 10 yr old son … read more
Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler
Business Owner/Law Student,
How do back child-support guidelines work in the State of ...
How do back child-support guidelines work in the State of Michigan. Ottawa County. If the guardian had custody of the child and lives in Michigan and one of the parents live out of state and wasn't or… read more
Kelly Spurlock
Kelly Spurlock
i have primary physical custody & we both have joint ...
i have primary physical custody & we both have joint legal custody. i have established a school, doctor, extracurricular activities, and medical benefits for my son. his dad has not made any attempt t… read more
Crystal Ibarra
Crystal Ibarra
Business Owner,
In September 2005 my husband was served papers saying his ...
In September 2005 my husband was served papers saying his ex wife was suing for custody of there child. Since 2002 they had joint custody where he paid $65 a month. In April of 2005 she filed for temp… read more
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Senior HR Consultant and Business Devlpm,