Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

Does EDD ever check the information on the Work-Search Record

Customer Question

Does EDD ever check the information on the Work-Search Record of an unemployment claim form? Do they contact the companies you list? Or does EDD only require paper work showing your emails, correspondence, etc. with potential employers? I can't recall all the specifics of my job search.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

the EDD will follow-up with the companies that you list under normal circumstances. I say under "normal" circumstances because right now their case load is, without exaggeration, about 4 times what is has been for the past 10 years, due to all the recent layoffs.

Those who are subject to employment searches need to keep track of where they have sought work; there is no per se requirement to hold on to records of communications like emails, letters, etc., but it is a very good idea to do so anyway in case there is any question over your search. You don't want to be in a situation where you list an employer, EDD contacts the employer, but the employer did not keep record of you, then EDD claims that you have failed to look for work.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance, and please remember to click "accept". Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You mention exactly one of my concerns -- that a company I contacted will have no record of my correspondence with them. Many of these companies listed online (at Monsterjobs, etc.) routinely get 100's of resumes sent to them each day; I doubt they will remember one in particular when asked about it. Also, I very seldom can get a contact name (which is something you're supposed to list on the work-search section). So I don't see how EDD can accurately follow up my work-search record without there being tons of discrepancies.

Also, there were times I was unable to look for work due to sickness. Am I supposed to provide medical records for that? Or do they simply cut off my unemployment and suggest I go on disability instead?

Thank you!
I would be more concerned with whether your illness truly prevented you from looking for work. Yes, if you had a legitimate inability to seek work, keep proof of that.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Didn't answer my question in regards to "discrepancies" and whether I would need to get on disability or not.
EDD won't be able to verify everything, and they accept that; frankly, right now I wonder if they're trying to verify anything at all. The important thing is that you need to be as prepared as possible in the event that they decide that they are going to be suspicious.

If you are eligible for disability, you would ordinarily want to get it, irrespective of whether you are collecting unemployment. It's a personal decision.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does it matter whether I have a contact name in my work-search or not? They can be difficult to obtain. Also, I am confused about when exactly EDD checks my work-search record. Can they do so even months afterwards? Thanks!
They will ordinarily not do it only if you are collecting unemployment benefits. As for contact name, just provide the information that you have available. The forms are from the 1990s and we are in the 2000s; they know that.