Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I want to know the statue of limations of a appeal in tex

Customer Question
I want to know...
I want to know the statue of limations of a appeal in texas
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
9/8/2009
Lawyer: Legal Professional, Lawyer. replied 8 years ago
Legal Professional
In general, the defendant has 30 calendar days in Texas to file a motion for new trial or to file a notice of appeal which vests jurisdiction in the appellate court. Thus the notice of appeal must be filed within 30 calendar days of sentencing unless a timely motion for new trial was filed. This extends the deadline for perfecting appeal to 90 days after sentencing. Also you must then request the "reporter's record" (transcript)and a "designation for material" (e.g. exhibits) to be filed with the clerk..

Even if you do not prevail on direct appeal, you may be able to pursue an application for post-conviction writ of habeas corpus. The Texas Code of Criminal Procedure establishes no exact time limits for filing a writ in state court. But, a writ must be filed in federal court within one year of the date the conviction becomes final.. ..but a pending state writ tolls this time for subsequent federal relief..

Legal Professional
Legal Professional
Legal Professional
Legal Professional, Lawyer.