Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How do you get an adult son declared incompetent of taking

Customer Question
care of himself because of...
How do you get an adult son declared incompetent of taking care of himself because of drugs and alcohol?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
9/7/2009
Lawyer: NYLAWLADY, Attorney replied 8 years ago
NYLAWLADY
NYLAWLADY, Attorney
Unless you can be declared by the court as his guardian because he cannot take care of himself or is a danger to himself or others, you will not be able to do anything since he will be free to do as he wishes. If you go the legal route, then you will have to have the court declare that he is not competent to deal with himself an his daily activities. The Legal route would be the only one available. Good Luck.Thank you for allowing me to assist you on this question. If I've helped, please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thank you very much. These responses are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created so there is no client confidentiality in anything written on this site.

How can you be declared guardian of an adult other than by declaring him incompetent? What I am asking is there more than one way to get guardianship of an adult other then declaing them incompetent?
If the adult consents. Otherwise he would have to be deemed unable to care for himself or engage in activities of daily life on his own. It is a tough standard.Thank you for allowing me to assist you on this question. If I've helped, please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Thank you very much. These responses are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created so there is no client confidentiality in anything written on this site.

NYLAWLADY
NYLAWLADY, Attorney
NYLAWLADY
NYLAWLADY
NYLAWLADY, Attorney