How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask C.Fortunato Your Own Question
C.Fortunato, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Admitted NYS Bar, member ABA, NYSBA, NYCBA, QCBA, Licensed Real Estate Broker
Type Your Legal Question Here...
C.Fortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a duplex in Washington State. I live in one unit and

Resolved Question:

I own a duplex in Washington State. I live in one unit and need to rent the other unit. A couple with one child and another on the way is interested in renting. The building is not sound proof, therefore I fear that I will no longer have peace and quiet in the evenings.   My other concern is that a relative will stay with them for eight weeks. Can I refuse to rent to them based on these two issues without facing a discrimination suit?
Will you accept $20.00?
Thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  C.Fortunato replied 7 years ago.
In Washington state (and in many states), owner-occupied dwellings with less than 4 units are exempt from discrimination laws.

Here is a website where you can get more information about what you can and cannot do:
C.Fortunato and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you