Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is it illegal for a physician in Maryland to prescribe narcotics

Is it illegal for a physician in Maryland to prescribe narcotics to a friend with no exams or history and physical? Eventually it just became common place for her to visit with a pack of prescriptions and ask "Is there anything you need?" I realize that I should have said no but I truly felt at the time that I needed these medications. I was prescribed Percocet, Xanax, Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Oxyfast. This was after a brief time on narcotics, legitimately, after ACL surgery. I finally wound up not knowing who I was, what I was doing, where I was at times and had to receive Suboxone therapy. This has not completely taken away the cravings but definitely does a good job.
Depending on what she knew about your medical history and if she was regularly consulting with your surgeon or attending physicians after your surgery it may or may not have been strictly illegal, but as you've characterized her actions, at the very least she was professionally irresponsible.

________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My friend knew nothing about my medical status, just wrote prescriptions for whatever I wanted. She has since moved to California. What I want to know is what I can do to keep her from doing this to someone else. My LOC from being on so many medications was not normal and I missed out on several years of my life and my children's lives being "drugged" all the time.
Thanks for the acceptance and the bonus.

There are several things you can do. You can report her to the California Medical Board, who is responsible for licensing physicians in that state. That would launch an investigation and could ultimately result in her losing her license. You could do that in Maryland too, of course.

Depending on how much time has elapsed since she prescribed the drugs for you, you could sue her civilly for malpractice. You may have passed the statue of limitations for this, however.

There may be some kind of criminal violations involved here too. Maryland has prosecuted physicians for unlawful delivery of controlled substances who write prescriptions for controlled substances in the absence of taking medical histories and physical examinations and without the patient having a legitimate medical need for the substances. Again, however, this may be time barred by the statute of limitations depending on how long ago it occurred

If you tell me how long ago this happened, I can tell you if the statutes of limitations would bar suit or prosecution. But, if you don't mind, I'm going to call it a night now. If you want the information, I'll get the answers to you in the morning.

________