How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CALawyer Your Own Question
CALawyer, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1655
Experience:  Graduated Magna Cum Laude (Law School), Graduated Undergraduate at 19 Years of Age.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CALawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a spouses maintenance payments have not been made, because

This answer was rated:

If a spouse's maintenance payments have not been made, because you were unemployed and then did get a job, but have not earned enough to pay so she pushes the courts to charge you with a felony for not paying, then you are arrested..
If your family can come up with the money to pay the back payments then would the felony charged be dropped or do you still have to face some charge?
This takes place in Wisconsin
Typically, a good attorney could get the felony charge dropped. However, there is the possibility that it could still be pursued if it looks like the person was voluntarily avoiding their obligation.

The failure to pay is basically considered a contempt. The other issue in someone's favor in the situation is that it isnt contempt if the person is unable to comply with the order. Only if they failed to comply despite having the ability to do so. That is typically a defense to the charge.

If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you have any related follow up questions or need clarification, just ask!

Remember, this is for entertainment and educational discussion only and is not intended as legal advice and that no attorney client relationship is formed.
CALawyer and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you