How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa M. Your Own Question
Lisa M.
Lisa M., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 111
Experience:  3 years experience as general practioner.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lisa M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am I amble to claim on my IRS forms a loss of money for the

Resolved Question:

Am I amble to claim on my IRS forms a loss of money for the money I lost $5000 that I paid to a roofer who never did the work and disappeared? I did file a police report.

Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lisa M. replied 8 years ago.

Are the police filing charges? If so, what are the charges they are filing?

I need to know this answer before I can answer your question.

Lisa M>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.



The police have not been able to locat the roofer and to my knowledge are taqking no further action

Expert:  Lisa M. replied 8 years ago.

Generally, personal home expenses are not deductible from your taxes.

However, the only way I can think of that you may be able to take it off you taxes is as a casualty/theft loss. The contractor basically stole your money. The requirements under the IRS states that the loss has to be unusual and quick, plus the action must be illegal in your state.

Since it does not perfectly fit in the definition of a casualty/theft loss definition, it could be challenged by the IRS.

You should discuss this with your accountant.

The first thing I would do to find your roofer is to look up his business name through your Department of State's Website. They would have his business address. You can also hire a Private Investigator to find your roofer. It's not that difficult to find people. If you have his real name, you can pull up information on him on the internet.

Once you find him, you will be able to sue him for the return of the money.

I hope I answered your question.

If this answered your question, please press the accept button below. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Lisa M.
Thank you for your JustAnswer request. Please be advised that since each State has different laws, I am not able to give you a complete answer that a local attorney may provide. Additionally, this answer does not constitute legal advice and there no attorney-client relationship between us. You understand that Lisa M. is providing this information for the sole purpose of helping you to seek and find legal counsel in your particular state.
Lisa M. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you