How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RBinJax Your Own Question
RBinJax, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 731
Experience:  Attorney for 28 years. Personal injury, Social Security, family, work comp, criminal trial practice.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RBinJax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Florida. I have an 18 year old son who lives with

Resolved Question:

I live in Florida. I have an 18 year old son who lives with me. He is refusing to get a job. He says he does not want to work (who does?) Do I need to file any formal paperwork to get him to leave or is it legal to take his key and turn him out on the street to sink or swim? Yesterday, I told him verbally that he has until October 1 to pay $500.00 monthly for toom and board and if not, he would have to move. Any assistance would be apprciated.
Thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RBinJax replied 7 years ago.

At age 18 he is an adult for almost all purposes, and you have no duty to provide support for him. (This may be different if he has not completed high school and is a full time high school student). I suggest putting the ultimatum in writing and go over in some detail the reasons behind it (i.e. the unwillingness to work, the failure to pay rent). If you are willing to help with deposits for utilities, etc., indicate that also.

You may wish to contact the local police precinct about how they suggest best going about this to avoid having to call them out to the scene. If it does come down to having to "boot" your son, give the police a heads up call. They may not want to get involved since it is a civil matter, but it can prevent them from showing up without knowing what is going on.

You can get in contact with a locksmith in advance too about being present to change the locks to your house at a time when your son will not be present if you decide to put him out.

I hope this answers your questions. Please click Accept so that I may be credited for my assistance. Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Are you confident tthat this is acceptable in Florida as I know there are some strange laws here? Yes, he is a high school graduate. I do not have the resources to help him financially which is why I have asked him to pay to live here.

Thank you.

Expert:  RBinJax replied 7 years ago.
Once he becomes an adult, he does not have a "right" to live in your house if you do not want him there. He can abide by the rules and live there, or not abide by the rules and live on his own. Since he is 18 and has completed high school, he has no claim on you for support.
RBinJax and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions