How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1805
Experience:  California lawyer since 1976.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just paid over $400 to get my car repaired and now it runs

Resolved Question:

I just paid over $400 to get my car repaired and now it runs worse than when I took it in. I called the repair shop and they said that they aren't sure about the condition it was in before I took it to them and that they'll look it over. Do I have any legal recourse?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

If the car runs worse now because it was damaged by the repair shop or they negligently repaired it improperly, you would have a cause of action for either the return of the money you paid for the repairs, or for the cost of repairing the damage they did, or both.

That said, it would probably be very difficult for you to prove that they caused the problem. At the very least, you will almost certainly need an opinion from another repair shop about the negligence of the first shop in working on your car.

Before doing anything else, you should see what the repair shop has to say when they look at your car again. Every now and then, people will actually own up to their mistakes and it could happen here.

If it does not, and given the likely total value of your claim, this would be a case you could file in small claims court and therefore you will not need an attorney.

Thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Jim Reilly and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions