How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Your Own Question
MShore, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MShore is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

While at home, my pistol accidentaly discharged, the bullet

Resolved Question:

While at home, my pistol accidentaly discharged, the bullet exited through my door went through the wall of my neighbor's apartment and lodged in her fire place. No one was hurt or injured by the bullet; after several attempts to contact my neighbor, I placed some tape over the bullet holes so as not to alarm my neighbor. After this was reported to the county police, I was charged with discharging a firearm within the city and for hindering and obstructing despite the fact that i was a police officer at the time of the accident. The court dismissed both charges. As a result of these charges I was terminated from my job. My question is what legal recourse do I have against the police and prosecutor?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MShore replied 8 years ago.
1) A suit for filing a frivolous claim could be waged against the prosecutor.

2) Against the police, wrongful termination.

But be advised, that both would be very weak claims, from your description it sounds like although the charges were dropped, you did cause the pistol to discharge, even if by accident and not while acting under color of law.
MShore and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you