How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37349
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have suspended license, can I still get a car titled

Customer Question

If I have suspended license, can I still get a car titled and registered in my name?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.



What city and state are you in?








Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Detroit, Michigan. I purchased the car from an individual owner and I just want it in my name. I'm currently in the process of paying whatever fees owed on tickets.
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

Ok, all motor vehicles and trailers used on Michigan roads must be registered and display valid license plates. A registration shows the plate number and what vehicle that plate is registered to. To register a motor vehicle, provide either the previous registration or proof of insurance and ownership documents.


According to the Michigan Dept of State:


All persons processing a title application must present a Michigan or out-of-state photo driver license or ID card.


Individuals who need to obtain a title may process an application at any Secretary of State branch office. Title applications require proof of vehicle ownership and proper identification.


So it looks like you could present an ID card to get a car registered as long as you have proof of insurance on the vehicle.


Within 15 days of buying a vehicle, you must title it in your name at a Secretary of State branch office. Failure to transfer the title within that time will result in a $15 late fee. At the time of titling, a $15 title transfer fee will be collected as well as 6% use tax.