Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am court ordered to take a hair follicle drug test. I have

I am court ordered to...
I am court ordered to take a hair follicle drug test. I have been trying to get this done but the labs say that I need a chain of custody form, but they cannot give it to me and that I shouldve already been given one. My lawyer says he doesn't and has never heard of that. Now they are trying to hold me in contempt of court for not doing the test.   The internet says it is a legal document, What do I do?
8/17/2009
MShore
MShore, Attorney

I think I understand what they are asking for, is this test in association with a criminal case?

Its actually in a child custody case and I am being accused of doing drugs. Even after I volunteered for random drug testing and had negative results on all tests, I was then ordered to do a hair follicle drug test. I wasn't busted with drugs or anything like that.

I am in a custody battle and am being accused of doing drugs. So no, not criminal.

ok, here is a sample of the form you need: http://www.jm.com/corporate/labs_services/Chain_of_Custody.pdf

MShore
MShore, Attorney
Thank you for responding. I actually found a lab that was able to take care of it. Thankfully before today so they won't arrest me. I am now having an unbelievable amount of problems from my lawyer and I am completely lost on what to do.. Apparently instead of getting a continuance like he was supposed to , he went into court and plead me guilty to contempt of court without my permission or even notification. I have tried to get in contact with him since and he won't even call me back. I was also informed by my ex husband that with the guilty plea, I am also going to have to pay half of his lawyers fees and none of this has even been mentioned to me. I am being told that this is a violation of my rights and that I need to fire him. What do you think?
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney

It sounds like yo may have a court appointed attoreny. Here you need to report him to the state bar. Then you need to ask the court to appoint you a new attorney. Here you need to be talking to your caseworker if this is a child protective services case.

If it is a private action you need to fire your current attorney and demand your money back. There is a fee dispute board through the state bar.

MShore
MShore
MShore, Attorney