Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

last night the police towed my car out of my driveway.they

last night the police towed my car out of my driveway.they told my wife that the registration had been illigal for over a year which a lie.... two weeks ago i personaly went to dmv and paid the reg fees, i have insurance they have proof on file...i didnt have the release for my license until yesterday but i was not pulled over buy the police the car was in my driveway..................this is not legal right?   and how can i get it back ? thy didnt even tell my wife were they took it ,what tow yard it went to...............
<p>DearCustomer- This is outrageous, especially if the car was properly registered and tagged. If it wasn't on a public street or being driven I can't see any reason for the police to care unless it was a stolen vehicle. Obviously I have no idea why it was towed and it doesn't appear that they provided your wife with any information.</p><p> </p><p>You will certainly need to contact the police and show proof of registration in order to retrieve the car. You should also file a written complaint with the police department and demand a return of any towing fees, assuming the vehicle was properly registered and tagged at the time of the tow. </p><p> </p><p>They weren't required to provide your wife with any information if she is not the registered owner but his seems like awfully heavy handed police tactics to me. I would file your complaint and also contact your city council person and complain to him or her.</p><p> </p><p>Dave Kennett</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
they have the reg in the car along with personel property they shoul have gave to my wife li ke cell phone two big envelopes with legal information some brandnew items puchased at fry's elc. i pulled in driveway opened garage went in my house a few min. later they were in my garage started serching through my drawrs two were in my backyard then more came went through my car made my wife and ten year old son stand accross the street woke up my dad inlaw upstairs looking for me kicked in my shop door four went in they tried to shut off my security system half of witch they didnt know was still running so i have most of there bullshit on video ......O they told my wife i didnt have any warrents she said then why are you here and got no answer ......and told her to go back in the house............sorry for rambling
This sounds like more than just towing a car without a registration. I have no idea why they would be searching your house without a warrant but that is unlawful as well as taking the car. You will need to retrieve the vehicle through the police and the registration is a matter of public record with the department of motor vehicles so that can be easily verified.

I have no idea what other "civil issues" you may have with the police but I agree your car should be returned and they should pay for the tow.

Dave