How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
Type Your Legal Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive Social Security Disability. I inherited the house

Resolved Question:

I receive Social Security Disability. I inherited the house I live in. Can I sell the house for 1/2 value in exchange for living there and still receive Disability?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  xavierjd replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using


In order for me to better assist you, please provide the following:


Who would you sell the 1/2 interest in the house to? A family member? Friend? other?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Currently, maybe a friend. I will sell to anyone. May I ask what the differences are?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 7 years ago.

An inheritance does not affect social security disability...So, if you inherited $50,000.00, it would not affect your ability to remain qualified.


However, if you sell a house, it may be deemed as earned income. It it is seen as earned income, the sale may have an effect on your ability to continue to receive payments.


It is NEVER wise to sell 1/2 of an asset. Either sell it, or keep it. You can be a landlord, but your income may not exceed certain llimits.


It is best in your situation to contact a social security disability advocate or attorney to assist you. You can contact your local bar association for a referral. It will probably give you 2 or 3 names. You can contact the attorney(s) for a telephone consultation, or ask to set up an appointment to discuss the specific facts of your case. Sometimes, these consultations are free.


My concern for you to see an attorney is that the attorney may be able to have the sale of the home be seen as an inheritance. Thus, no problem. If any sale is considered as earned income, your payments may be in jeopardy.

I hope that you find this information useful, and that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I may be paid for my work and receive credit for answering your question. Positive feedback, although not required is always appreciated. Also, a BONUS is also not required but is greatly appreciated.

Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.


xavierjd and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you