How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning, My three sisters and myself have all been served

Customer Question

Good morning,   My three sisters and myself have all been served with a summons by an attorney in NY regarding the property of my now deceased parents.   I must answer this summons within 20 days.   I plan to pay the costs to stop the foreclosure and the attorney's office that issued the summons will have the figure for me within a week from Wells Fargo.

In the meantime my question is:   Can i hire someone other that the family attorney to answer the summons for me in person in NY? and secondly, do my siblings each need to answer this summons as well?       Thank you so much, Tim Laudermilk   XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Good Morning,


Thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I will be glad to help you. I also have to thank you for you precise and concise questions; sometimes people are so worried about their situation, they just write about the problem, but do not ask any question.


I will try to be as concise and precise as you!


First, you can choose any attorney to represent you to answer the summons in person;


Second, if you and your three sisters are named as defendants, they absolutely have to answer; if they do not filean answer, a default judgement may be entered against them; howver, the good news is that since your interest are the same, you may all use the same attorney to answer and there will be no conflict of interest.


If there is other information you would like me to consider, or you have a question in the future, please feel free to contact me - Andrea


Please pess the "ACCEPT" button so that I may receive credit for my work. Leaving positive feedback, Bonus, etc. is always appreciated.


Thank you again for allowing me to help you and Good Luck!


ANDREA - Attorney at La & Legal Expert

Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

I would like to clarify mu amswer;


In New York an action commencec by summons and complaint. If your family lawyer is not going to represent you, you can choose whomever you want; however, the other person should be a lawyer, otherwise you would be compromising your interests.


Please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get credit for helping you.


Thank you, again and Good Luck


ANDAREA - Attorney at Law & Legal Expert