SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

have had several police officers in morganton north carolina

have had several police officers in morganton north carolina and hildebran harrass 2 law abiding citizens one stating son was doing 45 in a 35 when he was actually doing 32 i was watching speedometer then a morganton officer stopped my husband and requested drivers license and insurance card without telling us why he pulled us over....and then tonite at pizza hut in morganton a morganton officer pulled up into parking lot and up behind mine and my husbands vehicle and my sons looked at both of them and then proceeded to get out of his vehicle while we were about to eat came up to husband and son and was rude to them both....i confronted the officer and he was mean and rude to me as well....my question is...is this harrassment with them following us and pulling us over without just cause and do we have a case to sue morganton city police department and hildebran state police?????
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 8 years ago.
Hello -

Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, this does not sound like it rises to the level of legal harassment. The police officers, even if they didn't have a valid reason, could come up with one to keep them from getting in trouble. I would suggest that if you are worried about this continuing that you keep a video camera handy to document future harassment. If you have it on tape, it will be that much easier to prove that it is happening.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. Thanks.

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
even if they follow us after leaving a restaurant for several miles and stops us and harrass us all the time i do not have a camera or video to take pictures to stop them from harrassing us..my husband is 60 years old and my son is 30 they are so scared being new to a new state that my husband does not want to drive i am afraid that with them harrassing him he is going to have a heart attack he has 4 lumps on one side of his lungs and 4 on the other is there no way to ask politely to back off or to file a junction to get them to leave him and my son alone
Thanks for response.

Unfortunately, there isn't. The police are such a large organization and a very tightly woven group. It is extremely hard to prove police misconduct unless you can catch them in the act. So, unless you have pictoral, video, or eye witness evidence to this harassment, I don't think you are going to get any relief. I would suggest going to the police station and letting a sergeant know about the way you are being treated. Make sure to get offiers' names and badge numbers so you can let the sergeant know who is harassing you.

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i have 3 other witnesses will that count
I'm not sure what you mean by "will that count" but the more evidence you can gather about the harassment the better. If you have witnesses to the harassment, take them to the station and let them explain, along with you, the details of the harassment. It is really your only option.

Regards,

Michael