How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 396
Experience:  19 years of private practice.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what kind of law would sewage back-up fall under to select

Customer Question

what kind of law would sewage back-up fall under to select a lawyer?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 years ago.

Can you provide us with a bit of background on what occurred? Where was the line failure and who is responsible?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The blockage was about 500 feet away from my house on the city line. This blockage had been happening every since 2006. In May 2009, it became more than a blockage to me, it flooded my home. Every time that I could not flush out, I would check my line and make sure that it was clear and then call the city and they in turn would call a plumber out to unblock the line. Now at this very moment, they a pvc pipe in the sewer hub where they say that it was blocked at.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 years ago.

I would suggest an attorney with experience dealing with municipalities and property law. I would make sure and ask if the lawyer is familiar with filing governmental claims as well since this is a precondition to suing a municipality. Your state bar will have a registry of lawyers in your area with a general area of practice. Typically that is a general list. is a search engine for lawyers and you can search for a lawyer in your local area using the "terms" or words I outlined above. Frankly I would start there as it gives more background on the individual lawyer.


I am sorry this is happening. Sewer problems are terrible. Please let me know if I can offer you any more assistance.



Legal Eagle, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 396
Experience: 19 years of private practice.
Legal Eagle and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Okay, thanks. I'll try that?

Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
What response have you received from your homeowner's insurance?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

At first, my homeowners insurance ruled that because a clause: Section I - Exclusions

B. 2 Water Damage

b. Water or water-borne material which backs up throuh sewers or drains or which

overflows or is discharged from a sump, sump pump, or related equipment.

that there was not coverage for the damages. But now there will be an adjuster coming out next week or so to check it out. ???????? So in the mean time I am looking for a lawyer just in case the ruling is the same. I've had to add pop-up valves to my clean out line, hoping that will help if it decides to back up again. There is that possibility! I've lived this way for too long, still having to pay a house note, taxes and a sewage bill.

Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. I received the same answer but we have filed suit so we will see what happens.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My problem is trying to find a lawyer around here that will take my case!!!

Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
We can't recommend any specific attorneys, sorry.