Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

my husband walked out and left me and our daughter in the house

Customer Question
with all the bills; about...
my husband walked out and left me and our daughter in the house with all the bills; about seven months later, i applied for a hardship withdrawal from my 401(k) to help me pay the mortgage, insurance, taxes, utility bills an other joint bills he left me with. he is getting the community property interest in the 401(k) as part of the settlement. his lawyer sent me a letter saying that i violated the mandatory family law restraining order by withdrawing the money and that i will be responsible for paying the money back plus interest. neither one of us had filed for divorce at the time and neither one of us had lawyers; he did not file for divorce until the follwing year. the money was used to pay our debts. i continued to contribute to the 401(k) plan and never accessed it once the divorce papers were served to me. am i in violation of the orders like his lawyer asserts?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
8/1/2009
Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
From the information you have provided you would not be in violation. The restraining order would commence once the petition for divorce was filed. Since you took funds before any court action was initiated you were not in any violation. It is true that you would have to "refund" the funds taken, but seeing that he left you without recourse, the court is more likely to not make you responsible since he was responsible for his share of the debts and he would need to refund the contributions you had made when he abandoned you. So you have good arguements to make to the court as to why you should not be responsible. He left you without supporting his family which was his responsibility, so that is a negative that the court is not likely to see in his favor. The lawyer appears to be using a scare tactic in order to attempt to get more for his client.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Relist: I still need help.
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer