How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38895
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Rented an apartment with the terms to begin Aug 1, 2009. Signed

This answer was rated:

Rented an apartment with the terms to begin Aug 1, 2009. Signed the lease after seeing the apartment on July 17 but told them I'd move in on July 25. Was told it was a 2 bedroom and the craigslist ad stated as such as well. Upon moving in on Saturday there was a major electrical issue which required an electrician to fix on Monday. Stayed there only Sunday evening. The electrician noticed it was a one bedroom and said that the other didn't qualify since it didn't have a window or door for escape (2nd floor apt). Called the city's building inspector and was told that a bedroom qualified as "every sleeping room shall have at least one openable emergency escape and rescue window or exterior door opening for emergency escape and rescue." I went on Tuesday afternoon and asked to be released from my lease. They refused saying it was a bedroom. I stated that it is not to code to be qualified as nor listed as a 2 bedroom (and it's UNSAFE!) They still refuse to let me out of the lease.

You will have to ask a code enforcement officer to come out, investigate and then cite the property owner. After that is done, you can vacate the premises and sue the management for misrepresentation, i.e., the property is untentable as a two bedroom, you paid for a two bedroom and received a one bedroom, therefore you are entitled to your money back and damages for the additional cost of finding alternative housing.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, Socrateaser. I appreciate your time.
You're welcome and good luck!