INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

My friend is falsely accusing me of stealing 1200.00 from her

Customer Question

My friend is falsely accusing me of stealing 1200.00 from her home. I have had a key to her home for almost 2 years and never had a problem with her. She is threatening to press charges and take me to small claims court if I do not return the money to her by Sunday. I did not take it but I have been alone in her home with her knowledge on several occasions so I feel like she might be able to place blame with me. I am not the only person with a key to her home but she is insisting that it is me. She lives in a condominium building and the employees have access to her key. I know this because I was once an employee of her building. I am not guilty but I feel like she will be able to make me look guilty in court because she has experience with suing people and she is very intelligent. Any advice would be helpful. I live in Atlantic county, New Jersey.

Thank You
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
Slander requires showing false statements made to another causing harm to reputation and financially. It is an expensive and time consuming lawsuit. Consider also if the defendant has any money to collect assuming you succeed and obtain a judgment. Often a lawyer letter leads to the slander to stop and is more cost effective.    To find local counsel to represent you, see www.martindale.com
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My question was not about slander. I want to know what I should do if she files charges or a small claimes case against me. Should I make a report to my local police that I am being accused of theft to protect myself?
You can send her a letter to document that it she who is false accusing you. You can prepare an affidavit to that effect. You can also file a police complaint.