How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37325
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an apartment by ucla. The lease specified the term of

Resolved Question:

I have an apartment by ucla. The lease specified the term of aug 1 2008 to July 31 2009. We're moving out but the landlord said we had to give him a 30 day notice before moving out. I've read the lease carefully. The only thing that mentions term (or any sort of notice) says "This agreement shall be binding upon both parties initialy for the dates listed in Section A; thereafter, this agreement shall continue on a month to month...". We've moved. I don't think we have any obligation to any notice. what do you think?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 years ago.



Unless the lease has an auto renew feature that will renew it unless the LL receives notice of intent not to renew, the LL is out of luck. If no auto-renew, then the lease is for a term specific and at the expiration of that term the lease automatically terminates.


The reality is that the LL is probably trying to bluff you so he can keep a portion or all of your deposit. Don't fall for it. When you turn in your keys, under California law, he has 21 calendar days to notify you of any damages in writing or return your entire deposit. If he doesn't then he waives any right to keep any of the deposit. Take pictures, lots of them, of your apt so you can document the condition after you move out.


It sounds like you could possibly have a bluffing LL so make sure you have plenty of evidence to refute anything he might say.


I hope this helps.




My ultimate goal is your satisfaction. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question afterward clicking ACCEPT, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption. Thank you for your consideration.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you.

Barrister and 12 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you