How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36982
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a lot of money problems and now it looks like I

Resolved Question:

I have had a lot of money problems and now it looks like I am being sued in small claims by the attorney for my former doctor. The summons was just stuck in my door. No signature required apparently. They sent me a letter in May just saying they would be handling it. Nothing about how or when to pay them. Now this. I know I owe them. There's no doubt. Do I have to go to court? I lose a day of work that hurts me financially as well, so what do I do. Can I write the lawyer and try to make arrangements without going to court?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.



I think you have the right idea as it will only make your costs go up if they actually have to get an attorney to go to court to get a judgment. The court fees as well as "reasonable" attorney's fees are virtually always in a clause in the service provider contract that states you are responsible for them if they have to pursue collection. I would contact the doctor's office and see if they will work out a payment arrangement with you.

Contacting the attorney would not be very useful as he is paid for his time and the more time he spends (filing for court, going to court, placing liens, garnishments, etc) on the case, the more he is paid. So the reality is that it is in the attorney's interest to drag it out. The doctor's office is interested in getting their money asap so you would have a better chance contacting the office manager and working something out. It will be much cheaper in the long run.


I hope this helps.





My ultimate goal is your satisfaction. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question afterward clicking ACCEPT, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption. Thank you for your consideration.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you.

Barrister and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you