How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My brother has two children but is in jail serving

Resolved Question:


My brother has two children but is in jail serving a minimum of 1 year. The children's mother just recently passed away and now the children is residing with their aunt. My question is, does my brother still has his rights with his children even if he is in jail? And if yes, He asked me if i could take of his children till when he comes out. What can he do or Who can he see?

Mrs. Keopuhiwa
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.
Yes he has rights as the sole parent since the mother has passed as long as before he went into jail he did not sign away his parental rights. But since he is in jail someone would have to act on his behalf to ask a court to grant him sole custody through another person who will care for the children until he is released. He needs a family law attorney because he can not do this on his own from jail due to the aunt already taking physical custody.
legaleagle and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you