How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37386
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am theFather of twins and recently divorced. My Kids ae 10

Resolved Question:

I am theFather of twins and recently divorced. My Kids ae 10 years old. Thier mother the custodial parent has been trying to exert her control over the Kids and I during my visitation by sending what she wants them to wear and not sending appropriate clothes for different venues such as church. So I resorted to purchasing all thier colthes when they are with me. (Double expense). I pay Child Support of 800.00 / month. She insist that I must take thier cell phone when they are with me. I insist that I have a phone and they can use mind anytime to call or communicate. I sent her a certified letter explaining that I would rather spend additional funds rather than be dictated to about my own children during visitation and to avoid any conflicts. She constantly brings issues up in front of the kids. If I provide communication , clothing ,etc. at my expense am I obligated to take what she sends?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 years ago.



The short answer is no, you are not obligated to use what she provides. As long as you are providing for their basic needs (food, shelter, clothing) on your own then you are satisfying your parental obligations. The fact that the mother is attempting to get you to use whatever she provides is her trying to impose her will on your separate time with your children.

I would send the clothing back next time exactly as it was sent. If she brings it up, you can notify her that the children have adequate clothing at your home.

With regard to the cell phone, if you want to take it and turn it off, there is nothing wrong with that.


I hope this helps and thanks for the question.




My ultimate goal is your satisfaction. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question afterward clicking ACCEPT, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption. Thank you for your consideration.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you.

Barrister and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you