How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are in the middle of a law suit with the manager of a store

Resolved Question:

We are in the middle of a law suit with the manager of a store that we remodeled.We are also being charged with a felony. The prosecuting attorney contacted my sister-in-law and told her he hoped that our legal troubles weren't affecting the extended family. He also told her that he was sorry but that he would pursue this case to the fullest extent of the law and that he was going to go after my wife because she had to have been in on the whole deal. He also said that if she (my sister-in-law) and other members of my family wanted to sit down with him, he would explain the situation. Is it legal for a prosecuting attorney to do this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points:


  1. What is the jurisdiction (state) in question?
  2. Do you know what prompted the prosecutor to make the call (i.e. is he friends with your extended family)?
  3. Have you (and/or your wife) already been formally arrested and charged?


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We live in the state of Utah. He attends church with my sister in law and approached her there. I have been formally charged but not arrested. My wife has not been charged with any crime and this is the first we have heard of anything like this. Thank you
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law experience as well as having taught numerous legal ethics courses. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. I would be glad to interact with you further if needed after you click "Accept" to process my answer. Thank you for writing back and supplying the additional information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry. I am sorry for your circumstances, and I hope that everything gets resolved appropriately for you and your wife in this matter.
  2. Based on what you have related concerning the particulars of your situation, I am seriously concerned about the conduct of this prosecutor. Specifically, this scenario raises alarm over violations of Utah Rule of Professional Conduct 3.8. I think that the Courts would take a rather dim view of this activity. I would encourage you to report your very valid concerns to the Utah State Bar Office of Professional Conduct. You can start the process by submitting a written complaint to: XXXXX 645 South 200 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111,(NNN) NNN-NNNN You certainly have legitimate grounds to seek redress for this situation.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you