AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

can a cesspool pass title 5 in massachusetts or are they automatically

can a cesspool pass title 5 in massachusetts or are they automatically failed if there is no septic tank? I am selling an older house. the system has never had a problem but i think it is a cesspool not a septic tank system.
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 8 years ago.
DISCLAIMER
By reading further, you agree to and acknowledge the following:
1. You understand that laws vary drastically by state and country and that this answer does not constitute legal advice and that no attorney-client relationship is formed.
2. You understand that because no attorney-client relationship is formed, no attorney-client privilege exists and anything you have written could be used against you in court if discovered by an opposing party.
3. You understand that it is impossible for an attorney to provide complete and proper legal advice with JustAnswer and you therefore acknowledge that information provided on JustAnswer is not legal advice.
4. You understand that T-USA is providing this information for the sole purpose of helping you to seek and find legal counsel in your particular state.
5. You understand that T-USA is not providing you with legal services or advice.
6. You understand that T-USA is not agreeing to represent you in any legal matter and that no attorney-client privilege is formed.
7. You understand that you should consult, in person, with an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state or the state in which your question's subject matter is taking place.

State laws can vary drastically. Accordingly, you should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about this matter. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service. What follows is general information which may or may not apply, depending on the laws of your state. Only an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state can provide legal advice or legal services.
Customer

According to the Mass. Dept. of Environmental Protection, Title 5 generally only requires a cesspool to be replaced if:
1) there are signs of hydraulic failure;
2) it is very close to water supplies (public or private);
3) it is a threat to public safety, health, or the environment;
4) prior to a design flow increase.

More information is available at:
http://www.mass.gov/dep/water/wastewater/faqsgen.htm#require

Because I have provided you with a detailed, high-quality answer in an extremely timely manner, please ACCEPT my answer so that I will receive credit for the time and effort I have spent assisting you. While bonuses are greatly appreciated for the exceptional information I provide, they are a gratuity and they are not required.