Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My sister received a writ of garnishment of property in Maryland

Customer Question
and received a letter from...
My sister received a writ of garnishment of property in Maryland and received a letter from her bank indicating they had put a hold on her account. The judgement is against someone in Baltimore City but she was targeted because they have the same name. Does she need to get a lawyer to straighten out the mess? She called the bank but obviously they can't give her legal advice and they said they knew it wasn't her but that doesn't seem like enough and I'd hate her to lose money from her accounts when this judgement is not against her.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
7/3/2009
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Customer

Well, a letter should usually do it, but if they don't budge, an attorney might be needed.

She needs to write them a short threatening letter with what you just wrote up there, as well as her full legal name, her DL #, her SS #, and her DOB, to show that SHE is not the person they are looking for.

She also needs to tell them that if they do not release her bank account in 20 days, she will litigate against them for conversion (civil theft), quantum meruit, and assumsit, and that she will alert the local BBB to their actions.

This should take care of the problem.

Best of luck in your matter! I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.
---

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to be paid for my work. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 or by beginning your question with “This Question is for Eli - ”
Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law