How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SavyLawyer Your Own Question
SavyLawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4300
Experience:  Licensed to practice law, I have experience in dealing with a wide variety of legal issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
SavyLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I obain court-ordered power of attorney

Resolved Question:

How do I obain court-ordered power of attorney?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 8 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for contacting the just answer team.

Are you trying to obtain power of attorney over someone else?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My wife has been a coma since April 14th and I have found that I cannot conduct all of her business wthout power of attorney. Since she cannot sign papers, I was told to look into getting a court-ordered power of attorney.
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 8 years ago.
I understand, and thank you for the extra information. Typically, a spouse automatically can make legal decisions for an incapacitated spouse, and I would be curious to know what state this is in, and who, specifically, is not agreeing to allow you to conduct business on her behalf.

However, you are correct that getting a court ordered power of attorney will solve the problem. What you will have to do is go to a state court and petition to have your wife considered incapacitated/"Unfit" to make legally binding decisions on her own. What I would do is contact an attorney for your area for assistance in drafting the petition/motion, and then filing it with the court immediately.

I hope this helps, and thank you for contacting the just answer team. If you have any follow up questions, please do not hesitate to ask by clicking "reply". Otherwise, please remember to click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work.

Take care
SavyLawyer and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.


This helps me get on the right track. Thank you.

Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome.

Take care