Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

how do you aquire abandoned real property in texas, can you

Customer Question
pay the back taxes and...
how do you aquire abandoned real property in texas, can you pay the back taxes and fence it off
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
7/2/2009
Lawyer: Jack R., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney

The mere payment of taxes is not suffcient to claim property by adverse possession. You must show some indication of exclusive ownership and use of the property. If you can show control and use, then 20 years is more than sufficient to establish ownership by adverse possession.

An excellent articale on adverse possesion in Texas can be found at: http://recenter.tamu.edu/pdf/1152.pdf

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication

is there a way to become the owner of a property by paying taxes that someone refuses to pay, without the government foreclosing on that property and having to purchase at a public auction, not adverse possession

The only way is to buy it from the owner. Adverse possession was designed to do what you want. If a valid owner exists the property cannot be taken away other than through foreclosure of a lien, or adverse possession.

.

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Jack R.
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney