How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my car was totaled while parked outside my residence by a drunk

Resolved Question:

my car was totaled while parked outside my residence by a drunk driver who fled the scene. he was later interviewed and claimed to purposely crashed into two of my vehicles. he was arrested for felony vandalism. how does this affect a claim to his insurance for my loss. also, his insurance is undervalueing my vehicle so much that any award will not cover the cost of replacing my vehicle.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- This will be according to the terms of the policy however if the driver is covered then you will have to contest the offer from the insurance company. If you do not agree with what they want to pay you can file suit. If you file suit you may be able to collect punitive damages if you can show this was an intentional act.


You may also want to turn this in to your own insurance to possibly obtain additional coverage. In any event, you are not required to accept the offer made by the insurance company.


Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you