Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I currently work for this company that has had major lay offs, and

Customer Question
I currently work for this...
I currently work for this company that has had major lay offs,
and in my specific department there are only 3 people left,
and find that I'm working from 7:00 am to 5:30 to 6:00pm consistantly
with out taking breaks, eating at my desk, and it's basically expected...
is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
7/1/2009
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Customer

Are you talking about making sure you're not cut?

There is nothing you can do legally, unfortunately. Lay-offs are lay-offs. Sounds like you are already working overtime!

May I suggest doing this - what many people don't do:

Make your boss look good. Finish your work on time and with a high level of professionalism. Bring your boss ideas that will help him and the department and offer to take charge and implement them. If your boss things he/she can use you to further his/her own goals and aspirations, then you're staying put...

Best of luck, and don't forget to press ACCEPT. Thanks for your time.

---

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is

the only way for me to be paid for my work. Your question will not close, and you will still have the

opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other

customers or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does does not give you the outcome or the choices

you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 or

beginning your question with “This Question is for Eli - ”

Eli,
I'm not talking about getting cut...I'm talking about working
10--to 11 hrs with-out getting overtime pay, and being expected
to with NO regard for employee taking as much as taking a break
because their workload has doubled...I can't believe your answer
is to "work hard, make your boss look good and keep your job",
the fact of the matter is, that is only setting myself and co-worker
up to fail...I can't believe I just paid you $18.00 for
that lame response that has nothing to do with fair employment
practices!!! What a rip-off!!
Thanks for nothing-- I though I was getting advise from a Labor
related attorney...
Oh my apologies...

I'll opt out and have someone else fill you in. You won't be charged.
Ely, Counselor at Law