Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
18695994

my mother lives in puerto rico and her partner die they live

my mother lives in puerto rico and her partner die they live together for 43 years but never marry is she initial to any benefits
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 8 years ago.
I assume her partner did not leave a will. In Pureto Rico there is no commonlaw marrige so they could not be married. There is a possibility that she might have a claim under the Lee Marvin concept which is that where two parties live together under circumstances where one foregoes opportunities for the benefit of the partner, the one partner may have the right to receive some assets.

To explore this issue, you will need to retain counsel.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

what do you mean by I will need to retain counsel sorry but don't understand that term and about this Lee Marvin concept is it accepted in Puerto Rico,

and no there was no will

Lee Marvin lived with a woman for many years under promises that he would take care of her and did not wnat to her to work or pursue her own career. Later he left her and she sued for support and was successful.

You would have to talk to a lawyer to see if this type of award was available in Puerto Rico and whether your mother's circumstance fell within this concept.

If she does not then other than assets she can claim as joint owners of such as household furniture, she will not be entitled to anything.