Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What rights do I have when being subpoena for deposition duces-tecum.

Customer Question
My x husband is named...
What rights do I have when being subpoena for deposition duces-tecum. My x husband is named also. I am a single mother head of HH.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
7/1/2009
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Loren, Attorney
A subpoena duces tecum is usually issued when they want you to produce certain documents. It is probable that all that is wanted is the documents and you and your ex husband may not even have to appear if you just send the documents in.

Have your attorney call (or you can just call yourself if you are not represented )the the attorney who issued the sdt and see if they just want the documents and not your testimony.

Good luck. I hope this is helpful.
What are they going to do with the info?
I don't know the details of the case, but, presumably they will use it to either prove the allegations of their complaint or, if they are the defendant, the elements of their defense.
The complaint is true, but who decides if I can pay anything back and how much? What is it based on? What about my Ex husband? Last year I spoke with Plaintiff attorney and told him my situation. I was very surprised to receive this!!
If you are the defendant, you need to be represented by a local attorney. These proceedings can result in a judgement entered against you. Failure to comply with the subpoena can result in sanctions and civil contempt penalties.
What does that mean? Can I go to jail?
No. You will not go to jail, but you can be assessed the attorney fees for the other side attempting to enforce the subpoena.

You really need to consult with local counsel if you are currently being sued.
Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney