Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

how can misdemenors be cleared from record if guilty plea was

Customer Question
entered in tennessee?...
how can misdemenors be cleared from record if guilty plea was entered in tennessee?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
7/1/2009
Lawyer: Griffin Law Firm, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Griffin Law Firm
How old were you when you entered the plea and what was the charge?

I was 23 yrs old and it was theft of property under $500 a first offense

Unfortunately there is an easy process if you were under 21. You are eligible for expungement in TN under the following categories:

1) A person who is exonerated by the governor under TCA § 40-27-109. Executive pardons are not eligible for expungement. See, State v. Blanchard, 100 S.W.3d 226 (Tenn.Crim.App. 2002).
2) A person who was dismissed and the proceedings against the person discharged under TCA § 40-35-313, except if such discharge and dismissal was for a sexual offense.
3) A person dismissed, or had no true bill returned by a grand jury, or a verdict of not guilty returned by a jury, or was arrested and released without being charged. TCA § 40-32-101.
4) A person whose bond has expired and no surety has been required to fulfill conditions of the bond. TCA § 40-32-101.
5) A defendant in the court which entered a nolle prosequi in the defendant's case. TCA § 40-32-101.
6) A first-time offender of other than a sexual offense when the offense that was committed prior to such person's twenty-first birthday and has since had no other convictions. TCA § 40-32-101.
7) A person who has complied with terms of a diversion agreement made pursuant to TCA §40-15-105.

Depending on the terms of your conviction, you may still be able to petition the court for expungement. You should ask a local criminal attorney with expungement experience for a free consultation. He will be able to tell you very quickly by looking at the court record and disposition of your case whether you will qualify.

I was not under 21 at the time but it was a first offense and i was ill advised by the attorney i had . I should have been able to get a diversion, Is there a way to reverse the charge now?

It would appear you may have a problem. I know your case would be a candidate for expungement in WA and CA where I practice so long as enough time had passed. At this point, I really think you need a consultation with a local attorney with a history of not only practicing in criminal law, but handling expungements.
Griffin Law Firm
Griffin Law Firm
Griffin Law Firm, Attorney