How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41038
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and feel I am being discriminated

Customer Question

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and feel I am being discriminated at work. I wanted to know if I get fired for missng time at work becasue of morning sickness am I qualifiyed for unemployment
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You can file for unemployement here if you are terminated without cause. If you have leave here or a docor's note this might well aid your claim in the matter.

Also prior to termination if you feel that you have been treted diaprately--that is they are singling you out because of your condition then go on and file with EEOC and DOL here. This might back them off from termination..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so are you saying i wouldnt qualify for unemployment if i file
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
You can file. The employer here may argue that you violated work rules or were filed for cause. You can appeal here and argue your side. The better approach here is to consider filing complaints before terminated and see if they back off.

I mean likely they try to make some kind of work rules/termination for cause argument and contest your claim here. I see this over and over wher they find ways to terminate pregnant women. It bothers me that employers are so callous and indifferent but believe me they are. Be prepared to fight here and consider filing your complaints here beforehand..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I downloaded the qustionare from the eeoc to file a charge like you said I should do. I am still worried about loosing my job though. thank you.
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
Well you ahev to have a pretty god idea that they are gathring information to let you go hee. And also if they are treating you differently they may well have to back up .I understand that you have to make choices here. Also if you do get fired here the better idea is to do a "temporary job" for a neighbor, friend, relative here.

That way you list them as your last employer and since you have wages on file they contact them here. This is how you get around filing for unemployment . just make sure you know the dates and job and pay for the day here.

They don't need a tax id because it was say a one day job cleaning a house. This is how you deal with unemployment if you get fired here. Avoid the contest with the prior employer in this manner. If they never get the last employeer forms they can't contest it her. Please keep this in mind..