LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

An elderly friend is in a nursing home. Ive been given written

An elderly friend is in a nursing home. I've been given written permission by his POA (family) to assist in his care...Feeding ...toileting...putting to bed..ect. Now the Nursing Home is telling me that I can't offer this assistance . Where do I stand?

&nbs p;                                              Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good afternoon Philip,

I'm very sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You somehow need to be designated with a medical health care power of attorney for your attorney. If they are mentally competant they can sign one for you. If they are not competent, you will have to rely on the POA for assistance. However, even with that, local rules of the nursing home may prevent you from doing such things as assisting the patient in circumstances where professional care is deemed necessary.

I recommend that you and the POA meet with the director of the nursing home and come to an agreement as to what you will be allowed to do in assisting your friend. Certainly there will be a middle ground that can be agreed upon. Once that is done, the staff will allow you to assist without interruption.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug