RBinJax
RBinJax, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for 28 years. Personal injury, Social Security, family, work comp, criminal trial practice.
14308646

A police office came to my door and tried to serve me some

Customer Question

A police office came to my door and tried to serve me some papers but said it wasn't a summons or a warrant. Why would a police officer serve me something if it wasn't one of these
Expert:  RBinJax replied 8 years ago.

Is there a possibility that you are being subpoenaed as a witness in a case? If so, either a police officer of process server would need to serve you with the subpoena to appear and testify.

If the local clerk's office has an online service, you may be able to look at it and find out if someone has sued you for some reason. Otherwise, you may be able to call the clerk's office and find out if there is an action of some type against you, or you can go to the clerk's office and ask them to search for any civil or criminal cases with your name in them as a defendant.

Beyond that it may be that the police officer was not being truthful with you as to the reason for his coming to your house, and was simply trying to get you to open the door so that he could serve you with whatever papers he had for you. As can happen in other instances, the police officer does not have to be truthful in such situations to accomplish his task.

Unfortunately, this type question is not susceptible to a concise easy answer, but I hope this information is helpful. Please click Accept so that I may be credited for my assistance. Thank you and good luck.