JPEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
14397910

What do you say, exactly, to invoke your fifth amendment rights,

What do you say, exactly, to invoke your fifth amendment rights, when testifying at someone elses trial?
Expert:  JPEsq replied 8 years ago.

There is no exact phrasing that is needed. You just need to let it be known that you are refusing to answer based on your 5th amendment right against self incrimination.

If you want some exact phrasing though, you can say: " I am electing to raise my 5th Amendment right against self incrimination. I am not going to answer, on the grounds that any answer I give, could incriminate me."

That will work just fine. You will still have to answer preliminary questions though. You can refuse though, anytime your answer involves you participating in a potentially criminal act. Good luck