How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alexia Esq. Your Own Question
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alexia Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

looking for a motion to enforce a judgement (divorce decree)

Customer Question

looking for a motion to enforce a judgement (divorce decree) defendent owing $ (set up orginally as a money judgement in the divorce) filed with small claims when he didn't pay to garnish. Appeared at court date in Michigan, defendent in Wisconson. The judge told me I need a motion to enforce the judgement. Asked the clerk at the front desk and she doesn't have such a document? Can you please help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MShore replied 8 years ago.
for what state?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That is part of the question can we file the motion here cause the divorce was filed here or do we need to file in Wisconsin where the defendent is?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I asnwered this on the site if you need me to reapply that is part of the question. The divorce is filed in Michigan can we do the motion here or do we have to do the motion in Wisconsin where the plaintiff lives?
Expert:  MShore replied 8 years ago.

You will have to file the motion in Michigan as it still has jurisdiction. A motion would include a summary of the facts and request the judge sign the motion. What portion of the divorce decree are you seeking to enforce? I ask because I am trying to locate the proper form and it would help if I know the purpose.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The divorce indicates a boat/trailer that will split for it's value and cost incurred to file bankruptcy and divorce. Most all of their debt was in plantiff's name.
Expert:  Alexia Esq. replied 8 years ago.



Good news is, you need to file a Motion to Enforce the Judgment in Michigan, the state where the Judgment/Orders lie. (They like to keep divorce matters altogether, even the post judgment enforcement issues that are so typical - I've done them 15 years later, can you believe?).


However, there is not a set FORM, generally. Or, more accurately, it is your standard Motion papers (check during the divorce, there was likely a motion or 2 during the divorce, and you simply follow the caption format, change the title to Notice of Motion to Enforce Judgment, etc. Attached to your Motion would be your Certification in Support of Motion, where you'd put all of your facts, including attachments where applicable, such as the decree where it proves what the defendant was supposed to do, etc. Your local court rules will also tell you if you need any other notices attached, proof of service, etc.


Often times, the county court where your matrimonial motion will be made will actually have packets available for pro se parties to make such motions - that would be my first starting point. Could save you time. Secondly, another quick method is to ask around - probably 50% of your friends are divorced and have had Motions done (for or against) and you can simply stem off them. IN fact, your own divorce complaint will give you the entire caption and again, you just need to put in your own title and information pertaining to your request.



Hope this helps to clarify.


I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger and can not create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. If your question was in fact answered appropriately please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for my work from the company. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterwards, don't hesitate to Reply and I'm happy to help you. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks!



Stephanie Joy



My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advise and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.


Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience: 19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.
Alexia Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you