How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 17252
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1 1/2 years ago, i was given a charge of misdemeanor petty

Resolved Question:

1 1/2 years ago, i was given a charge of misdemeanor petty theft. I was booked and released, given community service, and 1 1/2 yrs informal probation. I have completed everthing succesfully and am working on getting the information expunged from my record.

I work for an architectural firm, that does work for DHS and I need to get a clearance to work on the project. Not a top seceret one. Do you think that my misdemeanor will show up?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 8 years ago.
It will show up, and may harm you from getting security clearance as it involves theft which is always serious for them, I would suggest requesting a hearing if you are denied. Also speak to your criminal attorney about a possible expungement.

For cases falling under the purview of the Department of Defense, the adjudication of a clearance can be conducted either by a review of the File Of Relevant Material (FORM) by an Administrative Judge or by presenting a case at a hearing/appearance before an Administrative Judge. In all but the rarest of cases we strongly recommend that your case be decided through a hearing/appearance. For all practical purposes a security clearance decision is going to be won or lost at that hearing.
WALLSTREETFIGHTER and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you