How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced and have shared custody of our 10 and 6 year

Resolved Question:

I am divorced and have shared custody of our 10 and 6 year old girls. The girls just got back from the weekend at their moms and were upset because their mom told them she was going to kill herself because her boyfriend just broke up with her and she feels she has no reason to live. What should I do? I am not worried about her but I don't want my girls around that.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Well this is obviously a problem but it may be an isolated incident. If you truly believe that the mother is mentally disturbed and is presenting a danger to your children you should file a motion to suspend visitation and ask the court for a psychiatric evaluation.


If this is just a one time incident it is probably not worth the effort and might cause even more problems. Your children are the most important concern so if you fear for their well being you should file a motion.


Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is the first time the girls have had to deal with this, but she has mentioned in the recent past that she has had these suicidal thoughts and even mentioned that her cousin had to stop her in the last 2 months.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

Well it certainly is your call. You have a right to file a motion if you are concerned. As I said the welfare of your children is the most important consideration.



Dave Kennett and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you