Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

i am selling a boat that is under my father in law name but

Customer Question

i am selling a boat that is under my father in law name but he deceased. Who can sign the power of attorney form because i have to go to the bank with my buyer to sign the paper work.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- You cannot obtain a POA for a deceased person. The boat will have to be sold through the estate of your father in law. If there was no estate opened when he died someone will have to open one. The boat will pass according to his will or, if he died intestate it will go according to state law.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what do you mean "estate"? is that like a boat dealer?

No - it means that when someone dies their property goes into their estate and is distributed according to their will. If they don't have a will then the property goes according to state laws on intestate succession. You are not going to be able to sell the boat until it goes through the probate process.

Dave

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

but if i sell it for cash and no need to go through the bank, will i still need poa?

The problem is how to get the title transfered. You can sell it for cash but the new owner will still have a title in your father in law's name.

Dave

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
nys dmv have a form for that. i will have to get the form from dmv and fill it out.
Yes but I still can't see how you are going to get a POA if your father in law is deceased. He would have to sign the POA.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

ic, i will have to contact dmv to make sure if they need POA for tranfering a title.

That would be a good idea - Dave