Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I pay $1401.00 a month in child support for two boys age 5

Customer Question
and 8 in Kansas....
I pay $1401.00 a month in child support for two boys age 5 and 8 in Kansas. Their mother just got married this weekend and do I have any chance of getting my payments lowered?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2009
Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 8 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
No, the fact that she is married again does not relieve you of the responsibility of supporting your children. Sorry but her new husband's income does not figure in to the calculation.
How is that fair?
I guess the question is whether it is fair for someone else to be responsible for supporting your children. States have made a policy decision that it is not since this would deter remarriage. Sorry but that is just the law, whether it is fair or not I leave to others.
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
I completely understand your response. I work for the Federal Government and deal with ludicrous laws all the time. I personally think that there should be "checks & balances" in the current child support system as there supposedly is with our Federal Constitution. There is currently no way to monitor what a mother spends with the proceeds a father pays for child support. Heck, they can take each month's proceeds and spend it all on alcohol and drugs and who checks them? If a father does not pay child support he goes to jail! Where's the checks and balances, I ask you?
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney