Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am in a due process. My lawyer has withdrawn because I did

Customer Question

I am in a due process. My lawyer has withdrawn because I did not feel comfortable entering into the proposed settlement agreement. There are still days remaining of the hearing, and I do not have legal representation. I am not sure what to do. The violations by the school district have been signifigant.
Thank you
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My best advice here is to seek continuance here ot allow you to hire another lawyer. Unless you think that you can negotiate something better here on your own then to me you ask for continuance to allow you a new lawyer.

The judge here should allow you to have such time here because they allowed your lawyer to withdraw. your other option here is to try and resolve on more favorable terms here yourself..

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I asked the judge for a continuance, but it was denied because I did not object to the lawyer withdrawsing. I probably should have objected to the lawyer withdrawing, but he had asked me not to do that.

If I dimiss the case, am I able to start over when I retain another lawyer? I hate to dismiss it, because so far it was going in my favor.

The main reasons I do not want to settle, is because I know that the school will not work out for my child anyway, and I also think that the administrators need to be exposed. If I settle, it seems like the issues will be swept under the rug, and I don't see how it will ever get better. They are asking me to drop my OCR complaints as part of the settlement. Is there a way to take them to court, without having to settle? I guess I just do not understand well enough, how this all works.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
If the court allowed you to dismiss without prejudice you could start over here. But please think long and hard here about taking some kind of settlement. You are out on a limb here and without a lawyer to pick it up my advice is to see what you can get on your own here and take it.

It may not be what you think that you should get here but your lawyer probably thought this was as good as it was going to get. It is so hard to have prospective here when it is personal to you but you really don't want to dismiss this and start all over. Take what you can get here and make the deal.

Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have tried to press accept, to make sure ray can recieve payment, but I am not sure if I am doing it right
Expert:  Ray replied 8 years ago.
I got it, thanks so much..