How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know how to I press charges/sue my nephew and his

Resolved Question:

I want to know how to I press charges/sue my nephew and his girlfriend for forging a lease contract that I didn't make and sign my name to get food stamps.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The best way is for you to contact the local District Attorney's office (DA) and/or your police station. Just be aware that the DA generally has flexibility in picking and choosing in bringing up charges. Otherwise stop by your local police station where they will help you fill out an intake or incident report, and then they will use their discretion in charging the nephew with this crime.

An another option is for you to bring suit civilly, where you can sue for damages. This is wholly separate from criminal charges, and the standard is much lower (in other words, it is easier for a plaintiff to win). Most plaintiffs generally are advised to wait until the criminal case is settled because then they bring that evidence in to show culpability in their civil trial.

Good luck to you!


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The New Orleans Police has not and will not do anything. When I was threaten by my nephew's woman and her sister yesterday evening, they did it via cell phone. I was in Baton Rouge, La when the threats were made about harming me and burning my house down. In turn, NOPD stated it was a Baton Rouge situation, BR stated it was via phone and a NOPD could handle it. NOPD stated BR would have to request for warrant arrest for the sister. I don't know the woman or her name, but they have the sister's name, but would not give me the information to get Baton Rouge to issue a warrant for arrest. At this point, I know I can stop the part of about the food stamp fraud. I know I can get the eviction done. However all of the above mentioned, I need to get both my nephew and this woman on falsiving my name on bogus documents.

Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like you need to go directly to the DA. You have already contacted the police, who sound like are dragging their feet. Contact both the Baton Rouge and New Orleans District Attorneys, and have them bring charges against your nephew, his woman, and the woman's sister.

Otherwise, contact Legal Aid and have them assist you in pursuing this further. If all else fails, contact the media and see if they can make this an interest piece that wil shame the PD into taking action.