Juliana
Juliana, Attorney
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney
17008935

energy healing in florida requirements

energy healing in florida requirements
Expert:  Juliana replied 8 years ago.

The Department of Health (DOH) in Florida has created an unlicensed activity unit of investigators and attorneys who locate, investigate, and prosecute unlicensed practitioners of gentle, natural health care therapies. These are practices that are not taught at any U.S. medical school, and are generally not available in U.S. hospitals. They include homeopathy, herbal therapies, exercise/movement, vitamins, relaxation methods, lifestyle diet, guided imagery, energy practices, biofeedback, and folk remedies. Health-related practices are regulated and licensed by the state, so only licensed health practitioners may provide them.

The DOH has declared that "unlicensed persons, in the State of Florida, cannot otter CATH therapies (gentle, natural health care therapies) and "that a patient who chooses to seek CATH therapies {must} do so from a licensed individual."

So, in order to perform energy healing in Florida, you must be licensed by the state.

Juliana

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
when you say licensed by the state, you mean licensed as a doctor? What if I was an ordained minister?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so every massage therapist, and reiki practitioner are doing so illegally unless they are an MD
Expert:  Juliana replied 8 years ago.

An ordained minister is not a health professional, so that is not what the law is referring to in terms of licensing requirements.

And, not all health professionals are M.D.s. For instance, chiropractors and acupuncturists are not M.D.s, but they are health professionals that are regulated and licensed by the state.

Juliana
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so if I was an ordained minister in the state of florida, and performed a hands on the body energy healing with the universal god energy, florida officals cannot accuse me of performing any illegal actions, right?
Expert:  Juliana replied 8 years ago.

Yes, they can, if they choose to do so. A minister, even an ordained one, is not considered a health care professional, and Florida law states that a person cnanot practice healing or health care without a license. As I mentioned earlier, even persons who practice homeopathy or herbal therapies must be licensed by the state.

Juliana     
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry for so many questions, but I want to be certain, if I venture out into a particular area that I am doing so properly, so where does the first ammendment fail to protect me then?
Expert:  Juliana replied 8 years ago.

I don't intend to argue with you, and I can sympathize with your frustration to a point, but this is not a First Amendment issue. You have a right to practice your religion, certainly, but when aspects of your religion enter into an area that is regulated by the state, you must have a license that contemplates that particular practice. The state of Florida says that a person cannot practice healing or health care without a license, period.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news (or unfavorable law, in this instance), but I hope this helps,

Juliana