How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Joint-owners parents came into my house, without permission

This answer was rated:

Joint-owner's parents came into my house, without permission from me or roommate, and went though my things. I am completly violated and do not feel comfortable in my own house anymore. My roommate justifies this because they are his parents but this would have never been accepted in the past. What are my rights? I am completly violated

DearCustomer- If they entered without permission then they are guilty of at least trespassing or even burglary. Of course you would need your roommate to back you up on this. At one point you say they didn't have permission from either of you and then you say he is justifying the action.


In any event, since this is his parents, I think the real problem will be between you and your roommate. He has a right to permit his parents to enter the house and you have a right to keep them out of your private things. If you take action against them without his approval then your problem will not only be with the parents but also the roommate.


Since you are not married you do not have any rights under the domestic relations laws and you simply would have to take direct legal action against the parents. You can call the police for criminal trespass and you can file a civil suit for trespass against the parents.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

do i have a time limit on filing charges?

I'm not certain how long ago this happened but if it was something that happened more than a few days ago I assure you that the the prosecutor will not accept criminal charges. If you are talking about a lawsuit you would have at least 2 years depending on the nature of the claim. You would have to prove actual damages or theft of property in order to recover any money.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you